Senior Legal Counsel- FinTech- London
Senior Legal Counsel
Series-B FinTech Scale up (On IPO track)
£90,000 + Shares
Since launching in 2014 our client has been on a mission to fight fraud and financial crime on a global scale. In that time, they have raised over $35m in funding, opened offices in New York, Singapore and Romania, and have grown to over 190 employees, and they're not stopping there!
They aim to grow to over 300 employees in the next 18 months, as they continue to fight the good fight against financial crime, and help make compliance less painful for their client base of over 450 customers across 45 different countries. They're leveraging game-changing tech to help them on their mission, building their platform around AI, Machine Learning and Big Data, meaning that their solution is unrivalled in it's capabilities.
As they scale globally, and particularly as they continue to build their brand, they are now looking to hire a Senior Legal Counsel to take charge of their Commercial & Sales legal requirements.
Responsible for supporting the sales team to close B2B SaaS contracts with potential clients across the globe, being pragmatic and commercial while protecting the company and managing legal risks. Other key responsibilities will include:
- Developing a playbook to empower sales colleagues to work with templates autonomously.
- Training colleagues on areas of law and agreed processes/policies rolled out by the Legal team.
- Unblocking legal challenges and creating solutions as part of Product Development process.
- Managing and papering strategic partnerships with third parties.
- Managing external counsel relationships and law firm budget with the General Counsel.
- Helping the company market its products effectively and in compliance with all local laws.
- Supporting the growth of our international offices (including travel to those offices to support local teams)
- Taking on the management of more junior members of the team.
- Horizon scanning for changes in privacy laws and other laws and regulations that affect the business, its clients and the market more generally.
- As required, supporting on HR Legal issues.
- Qualified Solicitor with excellent academic credentials (minimum 2:1)
- Experience working in a commercial legal role in a law firm or in-house with data protection knowledge, ideally commensurate with 5+ years’ PQE.
- Expertise in financial crime is preferred and an interest in financial crime is crucial.
- Excellent relationship building / interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to work in a fast-paced ever-expanding environment
- Desire for a broad focus and to learn something new every day (someone who aspires to be Head of Legal would suit the role well)
- Has (or has a desire to gain) management experience.
- Commercial awareness: can understand the sales team’s perspective as well as the legal risks.
- Ability to summarise issues succinctly and be flexible and pragmatic with advice.
Bonus Points for:
Experience or interest in venture capital-backed companies
Project management abilities (often lawyers fall into this role on projects but if somebody wants to do it, this always helps!)
GET IN TOUCH
Whether you're a client or a candidate we love to chat about all things FinTech, preferably over a coffee in London, Amsterdam or Berlin!